Niger authorities on Sunday called on thousands of residents of Niamey to evacuate their homes after heavy rains that struck Saturday in the capital. Since June, 41 people have died in floods across the country.
“I appeal to all the inhabitants to evacuate the flooded areas and to immediately leave the houses that are in the process of collapsing,” said the governor of the Niamey region, Soumana Ali Zataoua. Two people, a father and her child, died Saturday in the fall of a wall, according to public television. Nearly 100 millimeters of rain fell in a few hours Saturday on the capital of Niger, local authorities said. The director of the National Civil Protection Abdoulaye Bako also invited the inhabitants “to leave all the flood zones” mainly in the bed of the Gountou-Yéna, a former river “that takes back its rights” in the heart of Niamey. “Several neighborhoods are seriously threatened,” alerted Bako. The municipality of Niamey has asked the victims to temporarily relocate to the schools. The floods have already killed 41 people and more than 68,000 people have been affected since June across the country, according to the Civil Protection Department. By mid-May, the UN had sounded the alarm about the risks of further flooding this year. Niger and its partners had already developed a “support plan” of $ 6.5 million.